Saturday 2 March 2013

Tales from Afghanistan

  The tales from Afghanistan are not actually written from Afghanistan, but from an Afghan author who lives in America. Unfortunately if he was still living in Afghanistan I don't think he would have been able to publish them. I am talking about the world-wide author phenomenon Khaled Hosseini. His two books The Kite Runner and Thousand Splendid Suns have sold millions of copies and are translated in more than 50 languages. Inspiration for this post is his upcoming book And The Mountains Echoed coming out the end of May. I read his first two book several years ago; I was ashamed of the fact how little I knew about the country and culture of the Afghan people. Most of us know roughly where Afghanistan is and probably their view about the culture is quite negative due to the wars in the past century.  However Khaled Hosseini showed me how beautiful the country was and how peaceful and loving the people were until recent times.
   His first book was published in 2003; a story about two boys Amir and Hassan; a story that brought me to tears more than once. If you haven't read it I definitely recommend it! It is an adventure that you take with the main character Amir and you spend almost 30 years with him. I don't really like saying what the book is all about, I am just going to say that it is worth reading.
 
  His second book was published in 2007 and it is a story evolving around two women. It is about Mariam and Laila's live; living under the same roof and having the same cruel husband they share everything. The difference between this one and The Kite Runner is that Amir manages to leave Afghanistan before the Taliban take over, whereas Mariam and Laila live there during that period. Again, Thousand Splendid Suns is an amazing story that will make your heart care about the people of Afghanistan.



 Khaled Hosseini's new book And The Mountains Echoed is due to come out on the 21st of May.It is going to be a story about a brother and sister.
                                                       I am sure it is going to be beautiful.

 Khaled Hosseini Official Website

No comments:

Post a Comment